The Sacro Bosco ("Sacred Grove"), colloquially called Park of the Monsters, also named Garden of Bomarzo, is a Manieristic monumental complex located in Bomarzo, in the province of Viterbo, in northern Lazio, Italy.
The gardens were created during the 16th century. They are composed out of a wood located at the bottom of a valley beneath the castle of Orsini, and populated by sculptures and small buildings among the natural vegetation.
The park's name stems from the many larger-than-life sculptures, some sculpted in the bedrock, which populate this predominantly barren landscape. It is the work of Pier Francesco Orsini, called Vicino (1523–1585), a condottiero and patron of the arts, greatly devoted to his wife Giulia Farnese, not to confuse her with her maternal grandmother Giulia Farnese, the mistress of Pope Alexander VI. When Orsini's wife died, he created the gardens to cope with his grief. The design is attributed to Pirro Ligorio, and the sculptures to Simone Moschino.
During the nineteenth century and deep into the twentieth, the garden became overgrown and neglected, but after the Spanish painter Salvador Dali made a short movie about the park and completed a painting actually based on the park in the 1950s, the Bettini family implemented a restoration program throughout the 1970s, and today the garden, which remains private property, is a major tourist attraction.
A fountain called Pegasus, the winged horse
Two sirens, probably Proserpina, wife of Pluto
Orcus with its mouth wide open and on whose upper lip it is inscribed "All Thoughts Fly"